Coming off the news of launching his very first label in Sable Valley, RL Grime took to Reddit recently to dish on some substantive details over the imprint. The trap mogul has already signed on graves with their stunning cinematic bass track, “Arcus.”
From telling fans he’s got tons of new music in store for the year, with some heavy-weight collaborations with Carmack and Whethan in the wings, to building a community around Sable Valley, to sharing his thoughts on the touring-studio balance, here are a few key things we’ve taken from RL Grime’s Reddit AMA.
1. The label will be focused on signing a range of genres, rather than being centered on “cinematic bass heavy dance music.”
2. He’s going to see about getting that Mr. Carmack collaboration released.
3. A Whethan collaboration also sounds likely.
R: Saw you and young Wheaty hitting the studio. How was it working with him ? Any other artists that you’d like to collab with at the moment ?
RL: whethan is a beast ! such a nice guy and a wizard on ableton. very excited to work more with him
4. The label is intended to be a platform to share the music of new artists that he loves.
5. He’s planning to stick with his RL Grime project for a while.
6. On the making of 2012’s “Amphibian,” he was stoned on his couch in his NYC apartment.
7. He needs work-life balance, and likes to limit his time touring to focus on creating new music.
8. He’s got his eye on Jackal, Shadient, WHIPPED CREAM, G Jones, Jawns, and more.
9. His dog Penelope is a pit mix.
10. The Sable Valley acceptance letters are meant for building a community, not necessarily being signed to release on the label.