Ultra Music Festival has officially been cancelled in Miami, although the festival has yet to publicly call the event. The Miami Herald was first to break the news hours ago, although plenty of outlets had been reporting the possibility of the festival’s 2020 return to Bayfront being in jeopardy of cancellation. According to sources close to the Miami City Counsel, city officials were beginning to grow concerned over how the festival might spread the Coronavirus to the US. After all, Ultra attracts ten of thousands of people annually from all over the world.
“Miami’s Ultra Music Festival has been postponed — possibly for a full year — which would effectively cancel the 2020 concert event… The move comes amid fears of the spread of COVIDー19,” tweeted Joey Flechas, the reporter who broke the news.
The postponement was decided a meeting Wednesday morning between Miami’s elected official and Ultra representatives, multiple close sources reported to the Herald. After the meeting, Mayor Francis Suarez and Commissioner Joe Carollo told reporters they had a reached a resolution, although an official announcement would not arrive until Friday morning. According to sources close to Conscious Electronic, stage designers have been turned away at the door and construction has been halted.
2020 will mark Ultra’s first cancellation of their flagship event since the festival began in 1999. Ultra Abu Dhabi was cancelled earlier this week due to similar concerns of the spread of the Corona virus.
The story is still breaking. More details around the length of delay, legal issues surrounding the decision, and UMF’s public statement have yet to emerge. Stay tuned.
BREAKING: Miami’s Ultra Music Festival has been postponed — possibly for a full year — which would effectively cancel the 2020 concert event, sources said. The move comes amid fears of the spread of #COVIDー19. https://t.co/qGtJZFGAjB
— Joey Flechas 🏝 (@joeflech) March 4, 2020
Via: Miami Herald. Featured photo courtesy of Ultra Music Festival.