Madeon has recently stunned the dance music world with his highly-anticipated sophomore LP, Good Faith. That statement almost goes without saying. Just days after the LP release, Madeon stopped by r/electronicmusic for a good old fashioned Reddit “Ask Me Anything” (AMA).
The hour-long session yielded some rather exciting news straight from Madeon himself, especially around the making of his newest artistic concept with Good Faith. From the peers he turned to for feedback, to the visual canon he developed for the tour, to his overall inspirations, here’s everything learned from Madeon’s recent Reddit AMA.
Read the full AMA here.
1) Lido was pivotal in helping Madeon develop the theme around Good Faith.
2) Porter Robinson was also hugely important in the feedback process…
…as is to be expected. One can actually hear the sounds of “Shelter” in subtle nuances on the album, especially in the anime sampling on “Hold Me Just Because,” which is obviously a huge Porter influence.
3) Daft Punk has always been a source of inspiration for Hugo.
Also, “Miracle” took the longest to write. As the album’s midway point, this has been the most well-received song off of the album.
4) Fans kept asking Hugo to elaborate on a recently vague tweet of his, to which he blatantly ignored every time…
…perhaps good things come to those who wait. All will be revealed in good time.
5) Good Faith initially had 11 songs, with Hugo scrapping the track, “Love You Back.”
The track will see a release at a later date. Madeon just decided it didn’t fit with the theme of the album.
6) Madeon has been listening to Bon Iver, Prince, and Kraftwerk lately.
7) Madeon began planning the visuals for his Good Faith tour back in 2016…
…and the process was extremely involved.
8) The vision for Madeon’s Good Faith artistic concept came to him like a lightning strike and he decided to run with it.
Although he says it took a long time to develop thoroughly. Oh, and Rin is doing just fine.